Young Artists in the Spotlight
Featuring visual art from youth around Central Florida at The REP!
Young Artists in the Spotlight is a program that highlights student work generated in visual art classes during or after school. Participating teachers work with students on artwork inspired by an Orlando Repertory Theatre production and its themes. Schools and visual art organizations from Central Florida counties are encouraged to submit student pieces for display in The REP’s main lobby. Participating students and teachers receive vouchers to attend an Orlando Repertory Theatre production. Participating schools or arts organizations will also be recognized for their participation.
Past participants from the 2014-2015 Season:
- ArtWorks Orlando, featuring student work from Orlando Union Rescue Mission (http://www.artworks-orlando.org/)
- Ms. McClelland’s 1st Graders from Audobon Park Elementary School (Orange County)
- Ms. Warner’s 1st and 5th Graders from Deerwood Elementary School (Osceola County)
- ArtReach Orlando, featuring student work from Howard Middle School (http://artreachorlando.org/)
- Ms. Whittaker’s Art Club from St. Cloud Elementary School (Osceola County)
- ArtWorks Orlando, featuring student work from City of Orlando Community Centers (http://www.artworks-orlando.org/)
How can my class or group participate?
Contact Emily Freeman, Community Engagement Director, firstname.lastname@example.org to sign-up for a show. If you are selected, you will receive a submission deadline as well as information about the play that should inspire your students’ art projects.
What types of artwork can you display?
Student artwork must be 2-dimensional and finished (framed, matted etc.). Each piece should have a hanging mechanism on the back. All of the art projects should be planned and implemented by the participating teacher. The types of projects, art forms, and materials are up to the teacher.
What size should the artwork be?
Finished work should be 18” x 24” or smaller.
How many pieces can I submit?
The REP has 8 available spaces each able to hold two works (18″ x 24″) or one large work not exceeding 32” wide. The REP can accept 16 small submissions and 8 large submissions.