For information on this year’s prompt, visit this page!
Conditions of Entry to Writes of Spring K-12th Grade Creative Writing Contest
- Submissions are accepted between September 22, 2021 and October 22, 2021.
- Submissions must include text and be no longer than one page. Submissions over one page are only evaluated for the first page (though they will not be disqualified).
- Submissions must be original work. Citations of other published works are acceptable if credit is given and the submission includes more than just cited work. Submissions that do not meet this guideline will be disqualified.
- Submissions are accepted in English or Spanish (only due to the limitations of our adjudicators.)
- Written submissions may be fiction or nonfiction and may include, but are not limited to:
- Short Stories
- Short plays, scenes or monologues and speeches
- Biographical or Autobiographical works
- “How-To” guides
- Short Essays
- Personal Letters
- Illustrated submissions are accepted on the basis that there is at least one sentence of text and that the image and text are limited to one page. Illustrations may be used in connection with the new text at the discretion of Orlando REP staff and associates. A limited number of winners will be notified for exemplary illustrated submissions.
- Actual submissions must not include personal information that could lead to the bias of a judge. This includes student name, school name, contact information, grade. The submission form will provide the platform to include this information, and thus it should not be written on the work itself.
- Submissions MUST be received by October 22, 2021 at 11:59 pm
- Entries are coded to ensure transparent and unbiased adjudication.
- Entries are evaluated based on 3 points of criteria.
- Adherence to the prompt —There must be a clear line of connection to the prompt and the submission.
- Technical Writing Ability — The writing will be evaluated for adhering to language and grammar conventions appropriate to age and grade.
- Content — The writing will be evaluated for craft, and it’s ability to creatively respond to the prompt.
- A minimum of one winner will be chosen from each school that has at least 5 submissions. Home schools will be evaluated together as one school for the purposes of this competition.
- Each grade level will have at least one winner chosen, with no more than 15 winners from any one grade. A total of up to 120 winners will be selected.
- Adjudication will be done based on a rubric given to the judges. The judges will be over 21 years of age, have a high school diploma (or equivalent) and not be affiliated with any school that presented submissions to the Writes of Spring competition for the 2021/20222 year.
Note: The decision of the judging panel is considered final. No correspondence is entered into after the results are announced.
- Copyright remains with the author(s) though each entrant gives permission to Orlando REP, the Writes of Spring Coordinator and associates to use whole or part of the submitted short stories and CD recordings in printed and electronic forms as well as on the Internet in future promotional materials and/or as curriculum resources
- All information about Writes of Spring is available on the Orlando REP website. For further information, please contact the Writes of Spring Coordinator at [email protected]