Writes of Spring
A writing competition organized by UCF Graduate Students in partnership with the Orlando Repertory Theatre
For the 2020/2021 creative writing competition, that prompt is:
“My favorite tradition… “
Submit your entries here!
Activity 1 | Write Like The Wind
Activity 2 | Photographic Memory
Activity 3 | Visualize Future Traditions
- Writes of Spring is a three-part event in its 18th year with Orlando REP. The first component of the competition involves students submitting a one page written response to a prompt.
- When all submissions have been collected, student works are sent to a panel of adjudicators who are given a rubric to evaluate each student submission. When all submissions have been scored, winners are selected to have their writing adapted in a brand new theatrical work. This piece is created by professional theatre makers and is presented as a new work in February.
- The third component is the granting recognition to the winners. Winners are notified in January that they have been selected. Winners are also invited to a streaming performance of the new work and given a copy of the script in which they are given credit for their own words.
|November 5, 2020||Submissions Open||Students are invited to submit electronic copies via this form.
If you would like to submit entries via mail, please reach out to [email protected] for details.
|December 15, 2020||Submissions Close||Submissions are only accepted until 11:59 pm on this date.|
|January 8, 2021||Winners Notified||Winners are notified that their works have been chosen via the teacher email that is given with the submission.|
|January 2021||Winner’s Workshop||A free workshop is held for the winners via Zoom to explore the themes and ideas that have come out of the script. More information forthcoming.|
|April 9, 2021||Invited Performance||Winners are invited to stream a performance of the new work that has originated from their submissions.|
- Writes of Spring aims to give K-12 students a platform to share their writing talents, contributing to a collaborative work of new theatre.
- Writes of Spring aims to gives students creative stimulation in their writing by opening the competition to a variety of written media.
- Writes of Spring aims to reward students of all ages by honoring winners of all grades K-12 and highlighting their individual talents.
- Writes of Spring aims to create meaningful new theatre works based on student submitted writings.
Find Writes of Spring K-12th Grade Creative Writing Contest rules here!