Orlando Repertory Theatre (“Orlando REP”), one of Central Florida’s oldest arts groups, is the State of Florida’s only professional Theatre for Young Audiences (TYA), and the seventh iteration of a company founded in 1926. Each year, we reach over 100,000 individuals in our three-theatre facility and in the community through our season of professional productions, a Youth Academy of camps and classes, and innovative educational and community engagement programming. We work closely with the University of Central Florida in many different capacities – most notably, hosting the Master of Fine Arts program in Theatre for Young Audiences.
We believe the work of theatre is fostering empathy and sharing stories representing many voices, including those voices that have been marginalized in contemporary America. To that end, we embrace the power of cultural diversity and inclusion on our staff (full time, part time, and seasonal) and our Board of Directors. We continuously strive to build and maintain a team that reflects and represents the diverse community we serve.
Scroll for openings
Costume Shop Coordinator
Under the direction of the Costume Shop Manager, the Costume Shop Coordinator (full-time, year-round) will support Orlando REP’s production department with all aspects of costuming including the execution of costume designs, alterations, construction, inventory, maintenance, and rentals. The Costume Shop Coordinator works closely with and reports directly to the Costume Shop Manager.
Individual Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide costume support to all events and activities sponsored by Orlando REP.
- Work closely with Costume Designers in the execution of their designs.
- Create, alter, and modify new and existing patterns by draping or flat patterning.
- Determine yardage needed for fabric and trims.
- Cut fabric based on patterns and prepare pieces for construction.
- Assist with measurements, fittings, and preparing alteration notes for stitchers.
- Assist with the creation and maintenance of costume related production paperwork.
- Provide support and maintain communication as construction, alteration, and craft projects move through all stages of the production process.
- Assist with buying/shopping.
- Assist with the training and managing of costume shop staff including seasonal employees and overhire, wardrobe crew, interns, and volunteers.
- Serve as a liaison between the Costume Shop and Wardrobe Crew.
- Support the daily operations of the costume shop including stock organization, equipment maintenance, stock organization, maintaining sewing and wardrobe supply inventories, and administrative duties.
- Serve as the point of contact for Orlando REP costume stock rentals and appointments.
- Additional duties and special projects as assigned.
Production Team Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend Production Meetings, Designer Runs, Tech Rehearsals, and Dress Rehearsals.
- Retain confidentiality on all aspects related to the organization, performers, and staff.
- Have a strong knowledge of all Orlando REP productions.
- Maintain a safe, efficient, organized, and clean working environment.
- Prior experience in a theatrical costume shop.
- Ability to read and interpret costume renderings.
- Proficient in hand and machine sewing techniques, pattern drafting, draping, and cutting, as well as costume crafts and millinery.
- Knowledgeable in costume and fashion history, and fabric types and their uses for the stage.
- Ability to operate and maintain costume shop sewing equipment including domestic and industrial sewing machines, sergers, blind hemmers, irons, and cutting tools.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining strict attention to detail
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- Valid drivers license and comfortable driving a cargo van.
- Ability to climb stairs, stand for long periods of time, and lift up to 30lbs.
- Experience with wigs and makeup preferred.
- Tailoring skills a plus.
Compensation and Benefits:
At Orlando REP, we work hard to provide competitive compensation and benefits to our employees. Our salaries are enhanced with valuable benefits, including health insurance, retirement plan with matching, and paid time off.
- Starting Salary for this position: (Tier 5 – Coordinator) $32,500 annually or $15.63 per hour
- Health Insurance Package
- Paid Vacation and Sick Time Off
- IRA Retirement plan – Orlando REP matches up to 3%
- Optional Short-term disability, Vision, Dental plans
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume by email to [email protected] with the subject line: Costume Shop Coordinator Application 2021 by September 20, 2021.
Orlando Repertory Theatre is always accepting resumes for part-time, over hire, and contract work in production and design.
- Design: Please email a resume and design samples to [email protected] for future consideration.
- Stage Management and Run Crew: Please email a resume to [email protected] for future consideration.
- Lighting and Sound: Please email a resume to [email protected] for future consideration.
- Props: Please email a resume and portfolio samples to [email protected] for future consideration.
- Carpentry and Scenic Art: Please email a resume and portfolio samples to [email protected] for future consideration.
- Costume Construction and Wigs: Please email a resume and portfolio samples to [email protected] for future consideration.
Orlando Repertory Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and as such, we consider individuals for employment according to their abilities and performance. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, age, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.
CLICK HERE for more information on the many ways to get involved with Orlando REP!