with You in Mind
Orlando REP is proud to offer sensory-friendly performances of select titles each season. These performances are designed to provide an accommodating and supportive experience for families with individuals with Autism, sensory differences, and other special needs who process sensory information differently.
Sensory-friendly accommodations include:
- sounds levels are lowered
- lighting effects such as strobe lighting are reduced and eliminated where possible
- volunteer Helpers are stationed in the lobby and throughout the theatre to assist patrons as they are seated
- the theatre entrance for audience members is relocated to a more open area with ample lighting
- house lights remain on during the show
- audience members are free to talk or leave their seats during the show
- electronic devices and sensory supports are welcome (taking of photographs is not permitted)
- a quiet room is available, should a patron need to leave the theatre at any time
- our shows are streamed to monitors located in the lobby for patrons needing to leave the theatre
- noise-cancelling ear-muffs are available to use during the performance
- Purchase security – patrons may exchange their tickets for another performance or receive a full refund in the event their family is unable to join us for the performance
Preparing For Your Visit
With each Sensory-Friendly Performance, Orlando REP provides patrons a Social Story, a resource guide for parents and children to help them get a feel for the theatre experience before the day of the show, and a Coping sheet, a condensed version of the Social Story.
The Social Story and Coping Sheet for each Sensory-Friendly Performance is emailed to ticket holders the week leading to the performance but may also be downloaded by visiting the show page.
A sample of a Social Story and Coping Sheet can be view by clicking the links below.
Upcoming Sensory-Friendly Performances
Bob Marley’s Three Little Birds
February 5, 2022 – 5:30 PM
Pete The Cat
March 20, 2022 – 5:30 PM